Sunday, April 19, 2015

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

April 19, 2015
Beauty is an interesting and cultural thing.  This is most apparent living as a North American in Mexico. (Side note> Mexican’s consider themselves “American’s” also - therefore we are North Americans)

This is not a very integrated society.  I see very few cultures other than Latino.  Occasionally at tourist spots, I will see other races.  However for the most part, I see very few.

You are considered more attractive here if you have lighter skin.  What an interesting contrast – I would prefer if my white skin would tan and get some color to it.  Here you see umbrellas protecting one from the sun while in the states you find people trying to tan themselves with various products or tanning salons.  I guess it’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

I stand out down here not only for my light skin and blue eyes, but for my gray hair.  I seldom see gray hair on females.  Most of the hair is dyed very black regardless of the age of the woman.  Women’s hair is kept long, mostly without bangs, until you are quite a bit older.  I guess shorter hair is for “older” people. 


So what really is beauty?  When we all reach a perfected state, will we have different colored eyes and hair?  Maybe by that state we will be able to look past our physical exterior to see the true beauty within.

No comments:

Post a Comment