Sunday, December 21, 2014

Music

December 21, 2014

Music is so very powerful!  We attended one of the Neza Wards today.  Along with us came our youngest son Jeff, his wife Stephanie, and their 2 year old daughter Colette.  Stephanie had played a rendition of “Silent Night” the previous week in their ward in California.  Keith “offered” her abilities to the ward for the Sacrament service today.

She played so beautifully and I truly felt the love of my Heavenly Father pour over me.  It was a wonderful moment and I felt such peace.  Music can do that – it can open the spirit to feelings from above.

We struggle sometimes with music in the mission.  Do we let our missionaries listen to it – and what are the guidelines of what they can listen to?  Can they only listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir or can they include gospel singers?  What about classical music – and then the wonderful music from Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera?  Sometimes we wonder if we should draw the line or put faith in our missionaries to draw their own lines!

With everything that can be used for good, the adversary has found a way that it can be used for bad.  Music can turn you away from spirituality as quickly as it can turn you towards it.  It becomes one’s choice.

I personally find good music to be one of the quickest ways of turning my spirit towards my Heavenly Father.  It calms my soul and transports me to a better place.  At this time of the year, it is hard to express how much I love Christmas music.  It becomes a touch with my past and makes me smile.  It brings tears to my eyes as my mind fills with memories.  I am thankful for it.  Feliz Navidad!



No comments:

Post a Comment