Sunday, December 7, 2014

I'll be Home for Christmas

December 7, 2014

This song had little meaning until I had moved away from home.  Before then it was just pretty words – afterwards it would pull at my heart strings.

We put Elder Somppi on a plane yesterday headed for home in California.  We were supposed to have him until the first part of April.  However a trip in his apartment, during a dark night, bought him a ticket home sooner.  Crunches don’t do well with uneven roads, lots of stairs, and miles of walking.

I watched him as we gave him the unexpected news – the news that he would “be Home for Christmas.”  He started to go through the five stages of grief with denial and anger (at least for a few seconds), but quickly passed on to the acceptance stage.  His parents flew right by all stages to land at pure excitement.  

As the news spread I would see the look on some of the other missionary’s faces.  It’s hard being away from those you cherish. Momentary jealousy, sometimes just longing, would be reflected.  And then, just as quickly, their dedication to continue serving the Lord in Mexico would return.  We all know that the Lord has His hand in all of our lives.  He knows where we are to be, and what we should be doing, if we just trust in His will.


“I’ll Be Home for Christmas” plays again in my mind….”if only in my dreams.”

No comments:

Post a Comment