November 23, 2014
Keith keeps saying that this is not the Mexico he served in 44 years ago. So many things have changed here.
· We sat with some friends eating waffles and pancakes the other morning. The only Mexican thing on the table was the fruit milk. Pancakes have become a great love down here – I even see them served at Church functions. And of course you can buy Krusteazs.
· 100% of my Christmas decorations were purchased at Home Depot, Walmart, or Miguel’s (Michaels in the states)
· IPhones are a common site
· Churches have wireless abilities and projectors are hidden in the ceilings.
· Carl’s Jr., Domino’s, Burger King, Papa John’s, and McDonald’s are not hard to find.
Still just Mexico
· Vendors greet you at corners, even on the freeways, selling their goods
· Jell-O can be purchased on any street – they do this whole layered thing even with nuts. They hand you a glob on a napkin and you eat away.
· Guards protect each church
· Old VW buses as used as “combis” to transport citizens everywhere
· Agua Frescas – drinks made with everything from wheat, rice, and fruit are sold on the street.
What I am still longing to still find: siestas.