Sunday, July 5, 2015

I sat by an angel today.

July 5, 2015

We headed out towards La Perla (the Pearl) to attend church today.  As we entered the building, we were greeted by a young man – probably about 17 years old.  One of his hands was pointed backwards, and his feet pointed towards each other.  With a mouth that didn’t quite work correctly, he asked me a question.  Not knowing what he said, I answered “yes.”  I was taken into a tight embrace by this young man.  He had asked me if he could give me an abrazo (hug) and I had replied in the affirmative.

This young man obviously was affected by cerebral palsy.  Walking and talking were difficult and yet this did not slow him down.  When it was time to pass the sacrament, he was there to help.  Since I was sitting on the stand, he had to deliberately and carefully make it up the stairs in order to give us the sacrament.  He couldn’t take a “gentle” turn, but would stop and steady himself, and then do a perfect 90 degree turn.  His stronger arm carried the sacrament tray.

When it was time for testimonies, up this young man came again to the stand.  As he sat down by me, he reached out his hand for a handshake.  When it was his turn, He stood, and in difficult speech, spoke of his love of Jesus Christ.  I could feel the power even when the words were not discernable. 

I believe that most of us come to earth to learn lessons.  Others however, are sent to earth to teach us lessons.  I sat by an angel today.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. Thank you for all that you share. I learn so much from your experiences and am always looking forward to your next post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete